Casein 101

Casein 101

With so many types of protein powders on the market, at Efectiv Nutrition we prefer to to keep things pretty simple; we offer the best of the best when it comes to essential supplementation. You likely already use our whey protein, but are you using casein yet? Read on for everything you need to know about this protein-packed powerhouse.

What is Casein?

Casein is a milk-based protein supplement, derived as a by-product of cheese production, much like its counterpart, whey.

Cow’s milk contains 3.25% protein. Of this, 18% is whey protein, the other 82% is casein protein which contains high levels of the essential amino acids histidine, methionine and phenylalanine.

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and nine of them are referred to as ‘essential amino acids’ because the body cannot produce them on its own. This means we must consume them through dietary intake.

When is the best time to use Casein?

Whey protein is best known as a post-training recovery supplement as it is quickly absorbed. Casein however, is insoluble so it is absorbed slowly, providing a sustained release of amino acids into the bloodstream, sometimes over a duration of a few hours. This makes it ideal for optimising recovery time overnight so many athletes choose to mix casein powder with water and consume it as a pre-bedtime shake.

Are there any other benefits to Casein?

Other reported benefits include bioactive peptides that can lower blood pressure, plus the binding and transportation of minerals such as calcium and phosphorus, improving their digestibility in the gut.

Casein varies very little to whey in terms of nutritional data, with caloric and protein levels almost identical. As standard though, most casein powders do contain more iron (4% of the RDA, per scoop) and calcium (50% of the RDA, per scoop) depending on brand.

Combination blends are available. But when it comes to choosing your protein powder, really you need only identify what the purpose of consuming it is. If you are looking for a post training protein intake, whey is superior for fast recovery. Purchase casein if you are looking to optimise sustained recovery while you catch up on those sleep gains. Efectiv Nutrition Micellar Casein comes in three delicious flavours; Double Chocolate, Strawberry Cream and Vanilla Cream.

Fuelled By Macros Top Tip

Efectiv Casein for sustained protein release is a daily staple in my recovery protocol. However I don't always fancy a shake so instead I whip up my Berry Casein Protein Fluff for a delicious protein pudding!

Article by Fuelled By Macros. Get 10% off Efectiv with code FBM10

Reading next

Creatine 101
Product Spotlight - EFECTIV Intra Fuel

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.