When you find something that 'just works' for you, you stick with it. Anybody who takes their training seriously will want to limit the variables and control what they can to ensure optimal performance is achieved. For me, carrot proats is the perfect example of that as I have it before every training session without fail. Many of my clients use this recipe, or an adaptation of, to good effect too.
It provides the perfect balance of slow digesting carbs from the oats, fibre courtesy of the veg (it's not as weird as it sounds - think: carrot cake), chia seeds and blueberries. The dark chocolate adds in fat, ideal for sustained energy release, a magnesium boost and some epic pump!
The base, which includes whey protein always stays untouched but depending on training load I may swap out the berries for more carbs in the form of a banana. The key as always, is to experiment and identify what works best for your digestive load, energy levels and training regime.
- 1 scoop (35g) organic rolled oats
- 1 tbsp (10g) chia seeds
- 1 medium (80g) carrot, grated
- 1 scoop (30g) Efectiv whey protein powder
- 50g blueberries
- 10g square quality dark chocolate (at least 80%)
- Into a saucepan add the grated carrot, scoop of oats and the chia seeds. Cover with hot water from the kettle. I prefer to do this the night before training, covering the pan with a lid and leaving the ingredients to soak up the water and plump up overnight. It isn't essential but it makes the texture extra creamy and thick!
- Warm up on the hob, stirring frequently and adding in a splash more hot water if required. The consistency should be thick and fluffy.
- Remove from the heat and add in the scoop of protein powder, stirring until fully combined. Add another splash of water if required to get a texture you're happy with... but make sure it's not too watery - nobody likes sloppy oats! You can add any flavour protein powder you like but for a carrot cake vibe my favourites are salted caramel, cinnamon, vanilla or chocolate.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with the square of dark chocolate. Placing it on the warm oats and leaving it for a few minutes will cause the chocolate to melt, making a luxuriant and decadently delicious pre-training treat! Finish with the berries and enjoy!
(Including toppings as above)
- Calories 400kcal
- Protein 29.4g
- Carbs 42.2g
- Fat 11.3g
- Fibre 9g
Recipe by Fuelled By Macros. Get 10% off Efectiv with code FBM10